[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 21:42:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:25:53 -0500 Balbir Thomas
<balbir.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have heard more than one professor of mine (Ohio State University)
> mention that Object oriented programming
> is essentially "Systems Thinking" applied to software engineering.

I've always thought of it as the American System of Manufactures applied
to programming, ie the use (and re-use) of standardised parts to
manufacture products. It was this system that enabled
nineteenth-century America to catch up and overtake the industrial lead
of Britain, despite the fact that the USA faced a chronic shortage of
skilled labour.

But I'm not sure where such comparisons gets us. Most programmers
manage quite well without knowing this,

--
 All the best,
 John