[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Feb 13 13:14:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:56:27PM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM, James Laver <gllug at jameslaver.com> wrote:
>
> > On the other hand by suggesting perl will automatically lead to a
> > maintenance nightmare, you've picked yourself out as ill-advised,
> > inexperienced or a troll. Pick one.
>
> No, just someone that's had enough real world experience that I know
> it to be true. There's nothing inherently wrong with the language, but
> as the saying goes, "hell is other peoples' perl". As soon as it
> ceases to be a single developer project, maintenance nightmares
> follow. I appreciate it's only anecdotal evidence, but it's been true
> in 100% of perl projects to which I've had personal exposure, and
> there is plenty of supporting evidence to show that I'm not a
> statistical outlier there, either. YMMV.

Indeed ...  I've had no problems with Perl projects, including
famously a 100,000 line Perl project that DanB & I worked on once.

We had code reviews, lots of automation (builds, testing, code
quality), and everyone had to 'use strict' and deal with warnings.

If you want to pick on some Perl code I've written recently, I'll let
you comment on these links:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-misc.cgi/fedora-mingw--devel/file/tip/nsiswrapper
http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-misc.cgi/fedora-mingw--devel/file/07676eb440a6/crossreport

Rich.