[Gllug] Tape backups

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Feb 16 20:21:52 UTC 2009

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 01:43:15PM +0000, John wrote:
>> If you put aside the sarcastic, unhelpful replies Adrian, you ask a
>> very good question.
>>
>> I've put in a few systems which have mirrored data to RAID setups
>> using Dirvish, which I would recommend as being easy to install and
>> understand.
>> http://www.dirvish.org/
>
> A dirvish system doesn't give you backups, it gives you a mirror with
> history (on a single logical device).  While this is useful, people
> *really* have to get their head round the difference.

What then would be your definition of a backup?

A dirvish configuration at a separate physical location, with RAID-1
disks would seem to meet most of the normal specification of a backup.
It wouldn't of course be an archive, but then we've already seen the
difference between a backup and an archive.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk