[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 15:43:53 UTC 2009

2009/2/19 Balbir Thomas <balbir.thomas at gmail.com>:
> Agreed as far as salary ranges in academics go
>
> But why would a Ph.D do the same job in an industrial work atmosphere
> for the same price ?  That was my point. What does he gain by
> leaving academics in the first place. What incentive does industry offer
> to attract talent like his ?

That's an easy question to answer.
As a postdoctoral in an academic department, you fall into the "postdoc trap"
Your salary levels rise, but you do not get a permanent tenured post
as a lecturer (only the lucky few get lecturer posts - which are
permenent, and mean you become a 'grantholder' - ie you have money to
dish out to employ those postdocs).
Now, about five or ten years down the line posts are advertised - a
fresh graduate will take that post at the bottom of the scale (as they
have to - its a scale).

The other factor is job insecurity - that's a three year contract at
Loughborough. You have three years, then its out unless the Prof gets
further funding. All this is OK when you are single - but get a
husband or wife, and have a child, then you want more security.

Also I find that I prefer working in industry to academia anyway -
academia is full of committee meetings. In industry, decisions get
taken without endless toing and froing.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk