[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Thu Feb 19 15:22:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:56:33PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> That sounds to me like this company was looking to recruit someone
> from a University research group,
> and salaries in that range are attractive to someone on postdoctoral
> scales - have a look sometime at academic job adverts. Quite often
> someone with a few years as a postdoc will be looking for something
> which is not on short-term grant funding, and a move to industry is
> attractive for that reason. A salary of 28K would attract that person.

Hey, academic salaries may be low, but they're not *that* low. A starting
post-doc outside of London will be on a salary of around 27K/year. And it goes
up for each year of employment.

So 28K for industry would be quite low. Specially taking London into account.

Dan
--
Line Printer paper is strongest at the perforations.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk