[Gllug] Decent 64-bit linux distro

David Coles david at disintegration.org
Mon Feb 2 11:29:04 UTC 2009

Hi Matt.

Your experience sounds so bad that I can't relate it to any that I have
had with 64bit GNU/Linux and would have to suggest that it is a hardware
problem. Modern PCs have ACPI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACPI) BIOSes
and apparently they can behave differently depending on what OS is running
(don't ask me why anyone thought this was a good idea) and some will give
duff information to Linux apparently. According to this post:

   http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=210195

your machine probably has a Foxconn motherboard in it and I have heard
that these are one of the worst offenders for ACPI badness under Linux.

This may well explain why everything is good under Windows and totally
broken under Linux.

Try booting with the 'acpi=off' and possibly the 'noapic' switches when
installing and make sure it's in your GRUB setup. If this results in a
more stable system then blame your mobo.

--
David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk