[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Feb 13 14:28:07 UTC 2009

On 13 Feb 2009, at 14:01, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>> It would take me 70 minutes to get from my door (SW6 7EE) to Reading
>> station, assuming that the trains are running to timetable. That's a
>> foolish assumption.
>> Within 70 minutes, I can get to every station on the Tube network
> Assuming TFL is running to timetable.  That's a foolish assumption.

You conveniently edited-out my note that a fudge-factor was required
and accounted for. I actually listed those locations that were more
than *50* minutes away by the timetable.

In practice, what happens for me is that Earl's Court is a choke point
that I have to pass through to get to most of the network. This delay
is a constant wherever I'm going. Once I've exited Earl's Court, it's
fairly reliable on the City-bound and westbound District Line
branches, and the Piccadilly.

Note the important District branch I omitted? It's the one to
Paddington. That's because the *only* service on that branch is the
Wimbledon to Edgware Road service, and that runs every 10-12 minutes
and is prone to being cancelled or short-terminated at High Street
Kensington where you get to wait for a just-as-unreliable Circle
service.

Really, it's *Paddington itself* that's the arse to get to. Even
before one tries to get to Reading. It very quickly falls into the
"too much effort" bucket.

[...]
> These days I'd take a bike on the train, and cycle at each end.

Bikes aren't allowed on the Tube in rush hour and often refused on
National Rail services too.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk