[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 14:01:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

> It would take me 70 minutes to get from my door (SW6 7EE) to Reading
> station, assuming that the trains are running to timetable. That's a
> foolish assumption.
>
> Within 70 minutes, I can get to every station on the Tube network

Assuming TFL is running to timetable.  That's a foolish assumption.

>> Lots.  There are heaps of successful companies, employing very highly
>> skilled and talented people in Reading, Guildford, Woking,
>> Basingstoke.  Sometimes the pay is attractive too.
>
> That assumes that the jobs are actually *in* those places, and not 45
> minutes out to rural nothingness by horse and cart or whatever passes
> for public transport.

Yes, it is.  And you're right.  I worked for a while in Basingstoke.
Sadly the office was nearly 2 miles away from the station, the bus was
very expensive, and infrequent.  I used to walk it, or get a taxi.
Neither was much cop.

These days I'd take a bike on the train, and cycle at each end.

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director