[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:26:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2009, at 12:16, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>
>> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Because Reading is a dump,
>> Oh for bunnies sakes,
>
> Go on then. What is the killer feature of Reading that would make me
> want to spend quality there?

Very little to recommend Reading.  However, for a junior MySQL admin
on 30K, a 25K payrise may well be attractive.  A lot of companies will
also pay for, or at least give a loan for a season ticket which gives
unlimited zone 1-6 travel, and gets you to the office.

> This isn't to say that I flat out refuse to work in Reading, but there
> would have to be a very compelling reason to do so. I certainly refuse
> to *live* there.

For the right job, it might suit a person to move to one of the rather
pleasant outlying villages.  Good schools, clean air, easy access to
the countryside.  Maybe there are people on this list with young
children who are looking for an opportunity to get out of London.

I think there's absolutely no harm in posting job adverts (within the
regulations) for positions in "GREATER" London - defined, perhaps, as
within 1 hr train ride from London.

I visit clients in London probably 3 days a week, travelling in from
near Portsmouth.  I used to travel in 5 days a week from near
Southampton.  There are people happily commuting from Bournemouth
every day.  There's no reason not to do it the other way around, if
the job suits.

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith