[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Feb 13 13:28:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:54:04AM +0000, - Tethys wrote:

> > [1] Yes, Richard will shortly mention OCaml :-)
>
> I did, however, predict that :-)

IMHO, the main problem with OCaml is not the language itself, but rather
that too few people know it, so you have a very small pool of possible
contributors. Following on from that most people have an irrational fear
of functional programming languages, which I put down to bad teaching in CS
courses - certainly the one I did on functional languages focused on it
being an interesting theoretical exercise / alternate approach but did
not make any attempt to instill the view that it was useful/used in the
real world. All the real world programming assignments were to be done
in C or Java :-( I recently had cause to write some OCaml for libvirt,
to do static  analysis of thread safety, and it was very effective. It
also forces  you to think about what you want to achieve right away,
rather than just hacking up random code as you go ;-)

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|