[Gllug] Government collecting comms data

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 08:13:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:42 PM, tid <td at bloogaloo.co.uk> wrote:
> 2009/2/18 Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk>:
>> On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Juergen Schinker wrote:
>>>
>>> i named my servers after Comedians
>
> I've worked with the following standards:
>
>  - rock bands
>  - star trek words
>  - fish
>  - words with the letters "ASL" in. (asleep, aslope, hassle etc)
>  - family members ( mother, father, uncle )

All the above schemes are great if you  have a relatively small network....

>  - dreadful naming scheme from a head office which had a
> {useage}{location}{count} spec as in
>      DB-LON-01
>      which was great right up to the point we moved the servers or
> changed their
> usage. Or retired one ( "I can see WEB-SCOT-03, but where are 01 & 02?" )

Those problems have to do more with lack of policies and procedures,
such names are perfectly fine if you have hundreds of  *servers* to
work with (after all you don't want to begin to use the names of
Japanese rock bands, become Klingon speaker,  do marine biology as a
hobby or give new meaning to the word "extended" in familial matters)
.

Changing a server location? You have a procedure for that, thick the
boxes of the different steps needed as you perform them, job done.
Ditto for retirement of servers.

I think when you have more than 20 servers a naming scheme will serve
you better, but it should come with a proper policy to manage them.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk