[Gllug] ads-free web hosting

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 13:10:48 UTC 2009

2009/2/6 Johnathon Tinsley <kirrus at kirrus.co.uk>:
> Tethys wrote:
>> --------
>>
>> "Martin A. Brooks" writes:
>>
>>> Interestingly, it seems to work out (and I welcome supporting/denying
>>> statistics) that sysadmin teams leader and senior sysadmins are (where
>>> the enviroment is Linux), for the most part, debian users.
>>
>> My experience doesn't support that. I'd probably say it's weighted
>> 60/40 or so in favour of Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora over Debian/Ubuntu.
>> But naturally, others will have different experiences, and there's
>> bound to be some selection bias in there as well. For example, were
>> I working in the HPC world, I suspect SLES would account for a
>> reasonable slice of the pie. But I'm not...
>>

> In my (limited) experience of the web-hosting world (LAMP stack), Debian
> / Ubuntu are by far the most favoured distros.

That's the problem really - we all have our own experience but that
will by nature differ from everyone else's. For my own part I use
Debian on all my servers and my own desktop/laptops. But I do host
some sites with hosting companies that run CentOS and *my* experience
of website hosting companies (as opposed to those who rent you a
dediciated host or virtual server space) is that they seem to prefer
CentOS - particularly if they are using Cpanel/WHM or similar.

Tet has a point in that it depends upon the area the sysadmins are
working in. Much of our idea of numbers will be weighted by the fact
that we are possibly more likely to be in touch with like-minded
people who use the same distro's as us. That is we'll hang around on
distro-specific lists and forums and will gravitate towards support
hubs that focus on the ones we ourselves use. So Martin and I (to name
two) will tend to have a greater percentage of Debian users in our
circles of acquaintance than say Tet does.

cheers
Ryan
--
Ryan Cartwright