[Gllug] Triggering an action on DHCPDISCOVER

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Feb 19 16:33:33 UTC 2009

I'm trying to set up a really low power usage system.  The idea is that
all that's left on all the time is an NSLU2 (which draws about 2 watts)
as a DHCP/DNS server.  When a potential client connects the NSLU2 should
send a WOL packet to the main server to bring it on line.

Now I can think of various cludgy ways to detect the arrival of a client
(e.g. tail -f on /var/log/syslog and search for "DHCPDISCOVER") but I'm
sure there must be a better (read, cleaner) way.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk