[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:56:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Joel Bernstein <joel at fysh.org> wrote:
> 2009/2/13 Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com>:
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
>>> On 13 Feb 2009, at 12:16, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
>> Very little to recommend Reading.  However, for a junior MySQL admin
>> on 30K, a 25K payrise may well be attractive.  A lot of companies will
>> also pay for, or at least give a loan for a season ticket which gives
>> unlimited zone 1-6 travel, and gets you to the office.
>
> You've got to be kidding. I think my point about
> London-people-don't-want-Reading-jobs is well proven if Reading is
> prepared to double the salary of junior staff just to attract them.

I didn't say that.  Have you never been in a junior position for some
years, not had a pay rise a few years, meanwhile you've learned a fair
amount, and now can apply for a better job, with a better starting
salary (allowing for salary inflation and a more senior position)?
It's not uncommon.

>> I think there's absolutely no harm in posting job adverts (within the
>> regulations) for positions in "GREATER" London - defined, perhaps, as
>> within 1 hr train ride from London.
>
> Disagree. Reading is as somebody just said 27 mins away from
> Paddington and that's still too far. A 1h train ride from London would
> mean ~3h round trip commute for most London residents. Would you
> seriously advocate that for anybody?

All I'm saying is that lots of people commute *into* London on exactly
that schedule.  I don't know what motivates them.  I know several
people who aren't on a big wage that do it.  The job may be
interesting, the company benefits worthwhile, or, as I suggested, it
may prove to be a lifeline to someone wanting to leave the city.

> You must be confusing "happily" with "trading time/life for money".

Not at all.  As I said - there are people I've commuted with for years
who are *happy*, have fulfilling home lives, enjoy the countryside,
horse-riding, walks on the downs, quick trips to the New Forest,
excellent schools with small class sizes - all benefits of living in
Hampshire.  They also enjoy the commute - friendship, time to study or
read.

> Those people could presumably work locally at lower salaries but
> instead make the loony choice to travel hours a day to work miles from
> home because it pays them better.

Wrong assumption.  But yes, sometimes.

> Obviously that's a tradeoff, and my
> view on it may be different to yours. IMNSHO anybody commuting 100s of
> miles a day needs to really sort their life out. What an absolutely
> ridiculous idea.

I won't suit everyone.  And yes, I am sure many people would prefer a
30 minute commute each way, for the same challenge, prospects, and
money.

I'd contrast:  I live in 5 bedroom (soon to be 6) house, with nearly
an acre of land, with 3 stables at the bottom of the garden.  My
children go to the best school in Hampshire, with class sizes of about
15, and we have swathes of lovely countryside and things to do
everywhere.  If we want London culture, it's a train journey away.

I know lots of people with similar stories, who could not get that
quality of life living in London.  Of course this is all moot, because
we're actually discussing commuting *out* of London.  All I'm saying
is there could be good reasons to do it, so why not post jobs that
make it achievable?

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith