[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Thu Feb 19 15:44:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/19 Martyn Drake <martyn at drake.org.uk>:

>> taken on by a film post company in Soho for £25k.  Over the six years
>> that I was there, it raised to around £31k, but with on-call allowance
>> it was closer to £40k.
>
> I earned 19K when working in the NHS at Guys/St Thomas as a systems
> administrator.
> I earned something the same as Martyn when working at the Framestore.
>
> I really think a lot of people on this list should get a reality check.

I'd personally would put job satisfaction over salary for the most
part, if only for the flipping cost of paying bills, mortgage, etc.
that brings one crashing down to Earth.

I guess that's why I flittered between jobs after about a year - year
and a half during my early part of my career.   Was never really
satisfied with doing any one thing.  Truth be told, I was the happiest
doing the job when I was being pay 8k, but towards the end it was a
question of paying the mortgage OR eating.  Couldn't really do both.

M.
--
Martyn Drake
http://www.drake.org.uk