[Gllug] [OT] Mac OS X on a PC

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Jan 10 13:35:50 UTC 2009

On 10 Jan 2009, at 13:17, fendersan at aol.com wrote:
> It seems there's a way to install Mac OS X "Leopard" on a PC.

Yes, although it is against the licence agreement, assuming one has
bought Leopard in the first place instead of pirating it. Mostly it
involves torrenting a copy of a hacked Leopard - not just patches -
which puts it on very dodgy ground.

> If I give this a go, will I be able to run native Mac applications? My
> understanding is that there is a new type of "universal" binary for
> Intel-based Macs but what about older PowerPC applications? Would
> those
> work?

The "universal" binary is just a fat binary that contains both a PPC
and an x86 executable. Stuff compiled before x86 support obviously
only contains the PPC variant.

Leopard contains something called Rosetta, and this provides a PPC
virtual machine for running PPC-only binaries. Copy-protection
excepted, there's nothing particularly magical about Rosetta that
would stop it working on a PC.

> It would also be interesting to know whether it is possible to run
> Linux and Windows alongside OS X on the same PC.

I have Linux and Windows running fine on my MacBook Pro. (From within
Parallels, as it happens, but they'll also run happily on the bare
metal.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk