[Gllug] Grub on lvm

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue Jan 6 20:02:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 05:48:42PM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:18 PM, James Hawtin <oolon at ankh.org> wrote:
>
> > Most people normally avoid the problem, by having a minimal /boot as a
> > physical partition, Personally I aways have / and /boot as real partitions
> > not on LVM as it makes rescue of a dead system alot easier, being less
> > reliant on the right things working in the initrd, for me the main advantage
> > of lvm is being able to resize partitions later, and have never needed to
> > resize /
>
> Oddly enough, I found myself needing to increase the size of my root
> filesystem just the other day (a yum update didn't have enough free
> space to complete), and was glad that it was on LVM and I was able to
> do so without problems...

Out of interest Was your /var, /usr, /tmp or /home part of your /
filesystem? I aways give them seperate partitions. One thing that can be a
good idea to do is have a seperate volume group for os and data, the main
problem comes along is when the volume group spans onto a second
drive/array (paricularly if that thing is on a san). This is particularly
ammusing when someone extends it online then reboots. If you lose the second
drive or is not active earily enough in the initrd, the os partitions will
not mount read/write, even under a rescue disk.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk