[Gllug] Perl Developer Vacancy

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jan 13 15:34:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:26:21PM +0000, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
> 2009/1/13 Joel Bernstein <joel at fysh.org>:
> > 2009/1/12 Gary Pownall <gary.pownall at gmail.com>:
> >> Perl Developing anyone?
> >>
> >> http://www.cwjobs.co.uk:80/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?NoExpire=1&JobId=42757095
> >
> > "Suitable candidates will have solid commercial experience in Perl
> > (and Perl DBI) and an OO language (ideally Java)"
> >
> > Odd that they don't consider Perl an OO language.
>
> I haven't used OO Perl's capabilities, but are they not a kind of
> after thought ?

So what ?

Using Perl as an OO language still beats other "true" OO languages for
practical use. Python ? I have to waste time writing god knows how much
boilerplate code for the object instantiation/getters/setters/etc. With
Perl its all generated for me by Class::MethodMaker

> Java was build from the ground up to be object oriented.

C++ is just OO bolted onto C as an afterthought. Is C++ any less OO than
Java ? Until recently Java was a worse OO language than C++ in so much
as it lacked any support for generics. Designing from the ground up does
not automatically make something good / better than something which
evolved before hand.

Dainel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|