[Gllug] It is not Microsoft

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Jan 9 11:37:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 22:20 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

> > What you could do is to try to persuade them that it's in the council's
> > best interest to let the penguins in.
>
>    I have spoken to the Ealing contract IT person, and he just said no. I
> have no way to discover how many IT staff there are, but there may be nobody
> else. I have offered to help with the Learning Suite, the answer was again
> no.
>    My local councillors are well aware of our aims, but have agreed that the
> council appears to be run purely for the benefit of the council staff.

This particular part of the operation is being run for the council
staff, because it's probably why it is being funded. You are trying to
persuade them to take on additional unfunded work to achieve a new
objective that they don't consider to be important. You and I know that
running a live CD distro can't damage their Windows installations but
they don't. Just investigating that will cost them time and money and
you haven't yet persuaded them that there is any return on that
investment.

In project-management it's called scope-creep - adding new and unfunded
work on top of an existing project. Any halfway competent project
manager will stamp that out without a second thought.

--
bap @shrdlu.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk