[Gllug] It is not Microsoft

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Jan 9 10:17:07 UTC 2009

Chris Bell wrote:
>    I feel that we are probably approaching this from the wrong direction.
> Now if we were homeless family of Martians, just arrived at Heathrow, we
> could have demanded a house at well over 100,000 per month, paid for by the
> council.

Blimey, rents are high in Ealing.

>    Unfortunately, Free Open Source Software does not have a PR budget, so no
> advertising (honest or dishonest) so few people in Britain have even heard
> of it. We have needed to educate almost everyone we contact. While not
> neccessarily wishing to suggest that politicians are corrupt, there is
> little incentive or personal gain from doing anything.

The job of the politicians is to respond to public complaint. If an
abandoned car generates twenty letters of complaint and a piece in the
local paper then that's important.

What you've not mentioned yet is the most important piece of
information. Who (in Ealing) cares about this?

There's you, obviously. Who else? Is there a regular class that needs
access to more machines? A charitable group getting people back into
work who would find it useful?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd