[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

jt at camalyn.org jt at camalyn.org
Thu Jan 29 13:09:43 UTC 2009

hi List Members,

I am working with a technology client in Reading (Berkshire, UK) who are
looking to recruit a MySQL Database Architect to work closely with
their
development and operations teams.

Whilst the developers have had some involvement with capacity planning
and performance monitoring of the live system in conjunction with the
operations team this responsibility will move entirely to the database
architect over time.

This isn't a development role so the db architect wouldn't be taking
over the writing of all SQL or anything but they would be expected to
use their expertise in advising the developers how best to tune their
code.  Stored procedures are not currently used but they will probably
look at it in the future and this again would be something that the
architect would certainly get involved in as well revisit existing SQL
with a view to perhaps rewrite and/ or optimise.

They are running a mixture of 4.1 and 5.0. They don't run enterprise as
they always aim to employ talented staff so they can support everything
as far as possible in house. This goes for the OS as well, which is why
they use CentOS and not RHEL.

Although part of the job will involve finding new opportunities to
exploit new features or better use existing ones there are no immediate
plans to upgrade to 5.1.

There are no specific bottlenecks or db problems as such, the focus is
changing in such a way that they need to be able to store more data and
consequently they need to have the architect in place. However, there is
a focus on continual improvement of what they have. As with all IT
systems, there is always something that can be optimised. Identifying
potential future bottlenecks and avoiding them is also part of the role.

In terms of the number of high transactional servers - which would be
the definite focus - we are looking at high 30s.  They do use MySQL
replication but not clustering at this time.

If anybody is interested in discussing this role with me further
(including salary) please contact me off list using james at camalyn.org

Hope to hear from you soon,

All the best,
JAMES