[Gllug] VACANCY: Technical Manager

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 21:22:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 20:13:08 +0000 "jt at camalyn.org" <jt at camalyn.org>
wrote:

> Yes I understand :) I could be wrong but I do not think I ever managed
> to speak with them by phone or receive a reply from them by email so
> needless to say I'm going to continue to attempt to contact them.

I'm not sure what Alan Turing would have made of this. The Turing Test,
of course, was a test for Artificial Intelligence, based upon
distinguishing machines from human beings - or not, if the machines
possessed intelligence.

But he also came up with the Halting Problem. This showed that there
were certain programming situations in which a program would be unable
to determine when it should halt. This could be seen as meaning that no
machine could ever pass the Turing Test. You just have to present the
candidate with a situation in which she/he/it has to determine whether
to halt or not.

Or so I thought. But now we find a human being (?) claiming not to be
able to halt a routine. Perhaps the Turing Test is easier than most
people think it is,

--
 All the best,
 John