[Gllug] It is not Microsoft

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 12:00:26 UTC 2009

On Thu 08 Jan, Lesley Binks wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:12:40AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > Hello,
> >    I have been trying to persuade my local Ealing Council to provide help
> > for new users of Unix compatible Free Open Source Software, and the only
> > real response has been that it is not Microsoft, so no. There is no help
> > provided for any other system.
> >    I am looking for any previous relevant cases where an organisation such
> > as Trading Standards may have become involved.
> >

> Not sure what model you are looking for but Access Space in Sheffield
> recycles old computers and uses some for its community space.
> http://www.access-space.org/

   David L Neil has offered to run a course for Ealing Adult Learning, and I
am trying to get a community based computer club started where anyone could
learn how to install, configure, and use, anything from a single hobby
machine to a complete small business network, without having to worry that
their own kit is still not working at 0300.
   I feel that if it can be listed somewhere within the council website
(which just happens to run on Apache) it will be possible to bring it to the
notice of the community. I have contacted all the local newspapers, all of
whom say they would publish an article and further information once anything
is established. One of my three local councillors, and the secretary of the
Hanwell Community Centre, have sons working in IT using Free Open Source
Software, so understand what I am trying to do, but the official council
response has been totally negative.
   I agree that any critical existing system should not be replaced without
thought, but this does happen each time customers purchase a new and updated
computer system.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
www.overview.demon.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk