[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

jt at camalyn.org jt at camalyn.org
Thu Jan 29 18:24:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 17:30 +0000, - Tethys wrote:

> The thing is, they're really only different in your eyes. To the rest
> of us, you're an intermediary that matches up applicants to vacancies.
> Whether you choose to call yourself an agency of a recruitment consultant,
> there really doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

there is a difference. an agency normally uses a database to search for
candidates only and look for keywords in someones CV for example. they
also don't really have a clear understanding about what the job actually
entails nor capable of being able to technically interview a candidate
or for the purpose of this post actually know what a stored procedure
and/ or a user defined function.  they also probably never meet a
candidate or a client.

> > i did mention a business type in my first sentence.
>
> "technology client" isn't really very descriptive on that front...

its still a type of client, there is nothing in the faq's that says this
isn't acceptable.  again, anybody who might be interested can surely
email me off list or call me to discuss, cant they?  i am almost certain
that those that may have replied probably aren't interested as otherwise
they would have just dropped me a mail to ask any such questions.  from
my perspective though i am kinda beginning to see a pattern with those
who do have a moan about my posts and i am almost certain that the list
is a lot bigger than just you guys?

> >> * no salary range
> >
> > this was also referred to in my post, albeit that people should contact
> > me if they would like to discuss the role and that also included the
> > salary.
>
> This despite being told explicitly on several occasions that you are
> required to state the salary in the posting. You may have your reasons
> for not doing so, and may believe they're valid. Maybe you think you'll
> get less business by doing so. But even if that is true (and I'm doubtful
> of that) the fact is that the rules for posting on this list dictate that
> you need to state the salary, for what many of us believe are very good
> reasons. You've claimed in the past that you're trying to play nicely
> with the GLLUG community. If that's the case, then please either abide
> by our rules or stop posting here.

i will look to include a short paragraph in any further posts that will
address the issue of salary and offer a potential range too.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk