[Gllug] Beagle Board

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 18:19:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:

> And let's not forget the Amiga, which had pre-emptive multitasking
> right from the start in 1985. Oh, hang on, everybody did. It fell by
> the wayside just like RiscOS because it failed to keep up people's
> expectations of what a modern operating system should do.

An interesting, but I think largely incorrect claim. The Amiga failed
because of Commodore's mismanagement, and their astounding inability
to read the state of the market. Also, their inability to bring killer
apps[1] to the platform. Indeed, pretty much every failed OS in
history has failed more due to lack of applications than any other
reason. The public doesn't care about the operating system and doesn't
have any expectations of what it should do. They care about
applications.

Tet

[1] Games excluded, but games alone were never going to be enough to
ensure the long term survival of the platform.

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk