[Gllug] Beagle Board

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Jan 12 17:48:21 UTC 2009

In their defense, early PC Hardware did not include the necessary circuitry to
permit preemptive multitasking.  Cooperative multitasking does have the advantage
of being able to more efficiently utilize the hardware provided the programmer
which wrote the code correctly designs the system to efficiently handle this.
Sadly, this was seldom the case, and as such preemptive multitasking was/is a
much better model.  Apple got around most of this by embedding a systemclick (a
context switch to allow another process to take it's turn on the CPU) into almost
every system call provided by the OS.  This made most programs very simple to
write and performed much like preemptive multitasking.  Photoshop was a notable
exception because it would process a substantial part of an image before doing
either a system call or an explicit systemclick.

Ah the good old days... :-)

Andy

On Mon Jan 12 12:38 , Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> sent:

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk