[Gllug] Decent 64-bit linux distro

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 22:14:06 UTC 2009

2009/1/30 Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk>:
> On Fri 30 Jan, M.J. Smith wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Can anyone point me to a decent 64-bit distro?
>
>   Debian are about to release their next stable version 5.0 Lenny, you need
> the AMD64 version for 64-bit PC hardware apart from the Intel Itanium
> series. Assuming you will have broadband just download the businesscard CD
> image for your processor type and that will download the rest as required. I
> normally use a rewritable CD.

Seconded. I've been using Lenny amd64 for the past two or three months
and it just works - no problem with LVM and certainly does not feel
like an afterthought. The only real issue I found was with the
flash-player but honestly it wasn't that big an issue for me.

HTH
--
Ryan Cartwright
Equitas IT Solutions