[Gllug] It is not Microsoft

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Jan 9 14:24:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 10:52 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

> I have personally given away literally hundreds of CDs and DVDs, but
> get the impression that many are only used when the existing system fails.

That used to be my experience, but a little follow-up on discs I've
given away often results in their use.  Some people need a little nudge
to make the change, but the ever-increasing prevalence of Windows
malware, the expense and the obvious fundamental flaws in everything
from Microsoft are pushing their user base towards FOSS.

I am seeing a surprising growth in the uptake of FOSS, particularly in
commerce.  Many companies are now afraid of the insecurity inherent in
Windows, and are now taking steps to avoid the problem.  Now that FOSS
has a good range of business software, there's little reason to stay
with MS-ware.  However, we still need so really good collaboration and
calendaring software...

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk