[Gllug] Beagle Board

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jan 14 10:01:50 UTC 2009

On 13 Jan 2009, Bruce Richardson stated:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:55:36AM +0000, Vidar wrote:
>>
>> In fact, there was even a preemptive multitasking BASIC extension
>> available for the Commodore 64, though that was a bit of a hack since
>> it could rely on the interpreter loop,
>
> Then it wasn't pre-emptive, it was co-operative. The yielding from one
> process to another was done in a black box, but if one process were to
> hang, there would be nothing to move execution on to the next process.

I see no fundamental reason why the CIA chips' timers couldn't have been
used for this purpose: they can generate interrupts, which is
sufficient. It's not as if the (nicely hookable but otherwise braindead)
BASIC used those timers for anything.

--
`We must stand together and fight for our shared cultural heritage as a
 group of people who cannot stand together to fight for our shared
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk