[Gllug] Symlinks not following over samba/NFS in linux

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Fri Jul 17 07:56:02 UTC 2009

2009/7/17  <salsaman at xs4all.nl>:
> On Fri, July 17, 2009 02:40, Shannon Carver wrote:
>> Hmm, still doesn't appear to have worked (tried this on the client
>> machine).  I was under the impression that smb.conf was for the Samba
>> daemon
>> only and not client connections?
>>
>> On the other hand, remember that when a windows machine mounts the drive,
>> the link works fine, so I dont think I need to worry about changing
>> anything
>> NAS side (the actual Samba settings a little bit slim within the unit).
>>

> I was under the impression that vfat and ntfs do not support symlinks, and
> that vista "kind of" supports them.

Those would be native ones within that OS. IME Samba presents host FS
symlinks as files and directories to Windows clients rather than
links. So the users will probably not be aware they are not actual
files/directories. OTOH it's probably presenting them as symlinks to
the Ubuntu clients. According to Jeremy Allison[1], this is "expected
behaviour within CIFSFS as it evaluates symlinks locally".

Shannon: what you could try is setting unix extensions to "no" for the
share within the smb.conf file on the server but that could possibly
render the default owner-group-world permissions into a windows-esque
one-user and one-permission setup.  Also, if the link destination is
outside the current share you could try setting wide links to "yes"
but if the links are followed on the Widnows clients I'd imagine this
is not your issue.

HTH
Ryan

[1] http://forum.soft32.com/linux/Samba-Samba-24-6etch10-symlinks-Linux-clients-ftopict472777.html