[Gllug] Symlinks not following over samba/NFS in linux

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 17 01:37:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, July 17, 2009 02:40, Shannon Carver wrote:
> Hmm, still doesn't appear to have worked (tried this on the client
> machine).  I was under the impression that smb.conf was for the Samba
> daemon
> only and not client connections?
>
> On the other hand, remember that when a windows machine mounts the drive,
> the link works fine, so I dont think I need to worry about changing
> anything
> NAS side (the actual Samba settings a little bit slim within the unit).
>
> Cheers
>
> Shannon
>

> Shannon Carver
> Mobile: 078 4606 9419
> Mob (Int): +44 78 4606 9419
> Email: shannon.carver at gmail.com

I was under the impression that vfat and ntfs do not support symlinks, and
that vista "kind of" supports them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

Maybe its different under samba.

Salsaman.

Vote for LiVES - Best Project for Multimedia, Sourceforge Community Choice
Awards 2009
http://sourceforge.net/community/cca09/vote/?f=466

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk