[Gllug] Dell M65 Precision with 4G running Debian amd64

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Fri Jul 10 16:34:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:29:08PM +0100, James Laver wrote:
> You are using a 32 bit linux, which only permits you to use up to
> 3.2GB of memory. If you switch to a 64 bit linux, this will be fixed
> (but you may have other problems).

Not True! I have an I nvida atom/ion motherboard and am using a 64bit linux
with 2x2GB dimms, and it will only get me see MemTotal: 3478232 kB,
4GB - 512MB (hole) - 128MB (video) - Kernel

I think memory remapping depends on the motherboard chipset as well as a 64bit
linux. There is no option in the bios to tell it about a 64bit os, the
documentation for the board says it support up to 8Gb...

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk