[Gllug] Dell M65 Precision with 4G running Debian amd64

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Jul 10 18:29:08 UTC 2009

On Fri Jul 10 12:34 , James Hawtin  sent:

>On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:29:08PM +0100, James Laver wrote:
>> You are using a 32 bit linux, which only permits you to use up to
>> 3.2GB of memory. If you switch to a 64 bit linux, this will be fixed
>> (but you may have other problems).
>
>Not True! I have an I nvida atom/ion motherboard and am using a 64bit linux
>with 2x2GB dimms, and it will only get me see MemTotal: 3478232 kB,
>4GB - 512MB (hole) - 128MB (video) - Kernel

Which Atom processor are you running?  According to documentation, x86-64 is only
supported on the Atom 230 and 330 desktop CPUs.  If you are not running one of
these, then that is probably the issue.  If you are running a netbook, then you
probably have a 32-bit Atom.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk