[Gllug] Introductions to Databases

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz gj at pointblue.com.pl
Fri Jul 17 09:51:13 UTC 2009

On 16 Jul 2009, at 15:17, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> On 16/07/2009 14:30, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
>> As for replication, simple replication solutions are available for
>> postgresql for ages now.
>>

> You probably mean Slony, which is awful.
>
> A replication strategy shouldn't need me to alter my schema.

well, there are some available that don't. In particular log shipping.
But that gives you only warm standby option now.
All replication solutions that will be included into core will be log
shipping based. All 3rd party ones, aren't -because that requires core
code changes.
Btw, there are patched versions of postgresql available that include
working solutions, that don't require schema changes. Please grep
postgresql-general mailing list for more information.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk