[Gllug] Introductions to Databases

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:01:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> MySQL has replication for God's sake, how can Postgres' claim blah blah
> superiority and not have such a killer feature?
>
> I told the guy straight up that nobody cares about the purity of their code.
> They want features they can use and stability enough to just not break.

You're wrong. I want reliable database storage. Anything else
(*everything* else) is secondary. What's the point of replication and
other fancy features if you can't be sure that the data you put into
your database will be the same as the data you get back out? I may not
care about the purity of the code (although it's usually a good
indicator that they're doing things right), but I certainly care about
the integrity of my data. *You* may not care. And that's fine. But
don't assume that everyone else feels the same.

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk