[Gllug] regular spam

Steve Kemp steve at steve.org.uk
Thu Jul 2 05:15:32 UTC 2009

On Wed Jul 01, 2009 at 15:53:58 -0500, Lucy Peters wrote:

>    I have been receiving regular spam about 8 a day under a different name
>    using my email address sending to my email account.

  Other people have answered your actual question, about unsubscribe
 links.

  But it might be interesting to mention that this is a reasonably new
 tactic of spammers setting the from/to address to be that of their
 victim.

  I think the assumption is that you might whitelist your own address,
 or your own domain.  (This is one of the reasons that my commercial
 service doesn't offer a GUI-based method to whitelist a domains own
 sending addreseses - instead you whitelist the mailservers IP, or
 the recipient address.)

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service