[Gllug] Introductions to Databases

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz gj at pointblue.com.pl
Thu Jul 16 13:30:30 UTC 2009

On 16 Jul 2009, at 09:27, Steve Mynott wrote:

> Simple replication is promised in the next postgres release.
>
> In fact it's been promised for many next postgres releases.

Rule of the thumb is, if you need something really simple, and you are
okay with loosing data in odd circumstances - mysql is sufficient.
But personally I wouldn't go below PostgreSQL's level.

As for replication, simple replication solutions are available for
postgresql for ages now.

The reason, built in one was promised couple of times, is because
PostgreSQL development doesn't release anything, unless patch is
accepted as high quality code.
That's the reason replication is not in 8.4. It will be ready for 8.5,
and it is very high on PostgreSQL hackers list.

The coding quality, is other reason why I wouldn't trust mysql myself.
Got bitten by it too many times.
You have to remember, mysql was created with ease of use, and very
shallow learning curve. So that one could add sql database to product
very very quickly.
With that comes a lot of corner cutting, unfortunately. They got it
much better now, than - say - release 4, but still there's still loads
to fix before you could say that mysql is as safe, and reliable as
postgresql.

(btw, my first post here in 2 years probably, or even more).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk