[Gllug] Introductions to Databases

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 09:33:08 UTC 2009

2009/7/14 John Levin <john at technolalia.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> I need - and want - to learn about databases, and am looking for a
> decent introductory text about them. Something general, not an
> instruction manual, nor about a specific application. Perhaps a history
> of their development. Any recommendations?

First there are several different types of databases.
1) Relational databases like Oracle and MySQL have strict data
structures but tend to be slow.
2) Spaces, or Java Spaces are tuple stores and feature a lot in cloud
computing. They have hardly any structure at all and rely on the
application to structure the data. These are extremely fast.
3) XML databases (This is starting to become more popular). Similar to spaces.
4) LDAP databases. (This is generally good for a read many, write few
times application like user authentication)
5) Other types...Of which there are lots.

Take a look at those 4 on Wikipedia, and then decide which types you
want to get more familiar with.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk