[Gllug] KDE application control menu has disappeared

John john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 07:29:58 UTC 2009

On Monday 20 Jul 2009 22:10:45 John G Walker wrote:
> Setting up my new machine, using openSUSE 11.1 and KDE 4, I needed to
> go into runlevel 3, which was fine. When I returned to runlevel 5
> (which I think is the one that I should be using) the KDE control menu
> has disappeared from the panel, leaving me without any means of running
> any program under KDE that doesn't have an icon on the desktop.
>
> Eeeek!
>
> What has happened? And, more importantly, how do I get it back?

For openSUSE the runlevels should be
0	Halt
1	Single user
2	Multiuser (no network)
3	Multiuser with network
4	Not used
5	Multiuser with network and XDM
6	Reboot

Right click on desktop and select 'unlock widgets'.
Right clicking on the panel and selecting 'Panel options' -> 'Add widgets' ->
'Application Launcher'  should bring it back.

Alternatively, open up a console with Ctrl+Alt+F1 and use
rm .kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
This should restore the kicker to how it was.

The last is the easiest to do and gets me out of messing with widgets so many
times.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk