[Gllug] Belkin KVM not working with usb mouse and keyboard ports

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 18 23:39:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:19:33 +0100 Shannon Carver
<shannon.carver at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hadn't understood you still required the PS/2 support, and assumed
> you were happy to use USB only.  I've just done a quick google, and
> some of the latter model seem to happily suport both USB and PS2
> connections, indeed the Belkin Omniview range (specifically the Pro3
> seem to support this):
> http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=379141
>
> I can't comment on the solution above though, as I've not used them.

Can anyone comment on these, since I don't trust Belkin to work unless
I've got independent advice. They've produced a lot of rubbish in
their time.

I also don't actually understand the ordering. Do I have to order
different cables depending on whether I want to connect to a PS/2  or a
USB port? Why does it offer switch plus cable bundles and then say I
need to order separate cables?

And does anyone know a British supplier?

> Getting back to the core of your issue, it's been a long while since
> I've used USB -> PS2 or vice versa, but from what i can remember it
> should be a physical (driverless) connection, as the first USB
> Logitech/Microsoft keyboard/mice used to come with PS2 to USB
> converters, that would work without drivers in boot and DOS. Though
> I'm afraid I can't shed any more light on this and getting it to work
> with the newer PC

I don't know why it doesn't work with a converter, but it just doesn't.
It won't detect a PS/2 keyboard with a a simple PS/2 to USB connector
either,

--
 All the best,
 John