[Gllug] regular spam

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 10:55:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 11:39:39AM +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
<snip>
> new? I haven't had a great deal of spam lately* but I'm pretty sure
> I've getting spam with my own address in the from/reply-to header for
> some years now.

Yes, it's a old tactic. But at least it does not generate
back-scatter emails from mail servers sending a rejection notice.

> *guess I must have dropped off the bottom of a list somewhere - sure
> it won't last :(

I saw a drop off in spam numbers last month as well, and a similar
drop in June/July/August last summer.

As most spam is sent via botnets made of home PCs, I suspect that
these are less likely to be on when the weather is good or people
are on holiday.