[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Jul 10 13:01:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:34:23AM +0000, James wrote:
> view knowing what is on what machine has become important. Other reasons for
> locking things down, is the ability to reproduce things, if a developer
> tweeks a machine, have we made sure that knowledge is reproducable (if we
> lose a machine or a developer?), is it compatible with other tweeks? One of
> the largest annoynaces can be different package and updates between an dev
> and a production evironment.

This is why we have continuous integration, automated build processes,
dedicated build servers, nightly smoke tests, separate development,
testing and production environments, a release process...  these working
methods are a well-understood way to catch and eliminate such errors.
In that context, the developer's workstation is his/her playpen where
experimentation can be done with no negative impact.  Why add extra bars
to the playpen?  If the developer installs component X locally and
writes code that depends on it, it'll fail CI as soon he commits it;
it'll certainly never make it to the release process.

If you are relying on workstation discipline to protect your production
environment, you have already failed.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.