[Gllug] Introducing the Google Chrome OS

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Jul 10 12:46:10 UTC 2009

On Fri Jul 10  4:17 , Ryan Cartwright  sent:

>Well any tech that has a big name and therefore a marketing budget is
>going to get more attention than a community-inspired project. I can't
>see that Chrome OS will unduly damage the GNU/Linux market though. It
>may harm those companies who had aimed at the netbook market but to be
>honest Microsoft was starting to eradicate Linux from that market as
>well. Mostly by convincing manufacturers to turn netbooks into laptops
>with a smaller screen - which for me ruined the attraction of a
>netbook.

I bought a netbook with windows XP ONLY because it was exactly the same price as
the Linux model.  I bought it, filed the license in my drawer, (always good to
have an extra windows XP license lying around[*][**]) and installed Linux on it.

Andy

[*]   I work with Windows... no way around it in the Enterprise arena.
[**]  Also, I have many family & friends[***] who use me as computer support.
[***] and NO, I'm not going to try to convert my 70+ year old mother to linux.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk