[Gllug] Fibre cabling

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue Jul 28 12:07:39 UTC 2009

2009/7/28 Chris Bell <chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org>:
> Hello,
> ? Is there a good source of information about best practice for fibre
> covering local installations, including termination, jointing, repair, and
> testing? I understand that even BT speeds might increase enough to make
> local fibre worthwhile before the end of the century.

Fibre fusion costs about 250pounds per core, so for every connection your
need two as they are unidirectional. A fibre fusion termination scope costs
about 10,000 pounds. Inside the box they leave, just use connect to the
block in exactly the same way that front side does. Installers are just
selling you a very expensive custom length cable. A cheaper way to lay fibre
yourself is use pre-terminated fibre. If you look at the cost of new fibre
you will see that short length are not much cheaper much than longer. These
days you can also by multicore preterminated fibre for 24+ connections. It
also helps if you can be arround when I datacentre is cleared and they are
throwing out a load of it!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk