[Gllug] Domain registrars

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Tue Jul 28 11:56:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:39:34PM +0100, Andy Millar wrote:
> [...]
> > Are we aware if that is an annual charge, or an one off fee?
> > I can't seem to find anything definitive on the site.
>
> It's £80 + VAT to renew the domain, which needs to be done every two years.
>
> The price is deliberately set high to discourage end-users from dealing
> directly with Nominet. Tagholders pay £5 + VAT for the same service.

Correct. It's detailed here on the site;

http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrars/fees/feeschedule/

The £80+VAT is the non-members registration fee.

I don't think it makes a great deal of difference which reseller you use -
in the worst case that they go out of business (or are otherwise
unresponsive) you can still go to nominet to transfer the domain to a new
registrar so you're never entirely reliant on the reseller for anything.

I've been using tucows/opensrs.net for a while now and I quite like it. I
also use omnis.com and gandi.net.

Rob.