[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Jul 8 18:15:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 09:45 +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:

> There are good reasons why some red-tape exists and it's not always
> about controlling outlay.

In most cases, fiscal concerns are all that's considered.

> I can see what you are trying to say but in reality, installation of
> any software should be approved by either those who manage the
> organisation or those who they have selected to manage the IT
> infrastructure.

I have yet to see any truly IT-aware management, and have only ever seen
a properly capable IT department in one company I've worked for.  Most
corporations and government departments insist on hiring the "cheapest"
IT support, and generally get what they pay for!

> Otherwise you get an anarchic situation of users (even tech-savvy ones)
> installing a range of software as they see fit which can prove
> nigh-impossible to support and maintain efficiently.

"Locked-down" desktops obviate that problem, and a sensible selection of
available software will prevent the users wanting to try to install
other stuff.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk