[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 07:32:55 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org>:
> On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 09:45 +0100, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>
>> There are good reasons why some red-tape exists and it's not always
>> about controlling outlay.
>
> In most cases, fiscal concerns are all that's considered.

But not always specifically outlay. Many times it will be (or include)
long term costs such as supporting unauthorised products etc.

>> I can see what you are trying to say but in reality, installation of
>> any software should be approved by either those who manage the
>> organisation or those who they have selected to manage the IT
>> infrastructure.
>
> I have yet to see any truly IT-aware management, and have only ever seen
> a properly capable IT department in one company I've worked for.  Most
> corporations and government departments insist on hiring the "cheapest"
> IT support, and generally get what they pay for!

That's a little broad and generally I agree. I would question if it's
relevant here though. Regardless of the competency of the IT team,
they will (should) still have a significant say in what software is
used and who gets to install it.

>> Otherwise you get an anarchic situation of users (even tech-savvy ones)
>> installing a range of software as they see fit which can prove
>> nigh-impossible to support and maintain efficiently.
>
> "Locked-down" desktops obviate that problem, and a sensible selection of
> available software will prevent the users wanting to try to install
> other stuff.

Yes locking down desktops do solve the issue somewhat but that was my
point. Such a policy is generally deployed to avoid end-users
installing whatever software (incl. freeware) they feel like and the
reasons for wanting to do that are generally greater than the cost of
the software alone (Hari specifically mentioned gratis software).

cheers
--
Ryan Cartwright
Equitas IT Solutions