[Gllug] A step for free software.

Isabell Long isabell121 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:21:44 UTC 2009

Hi there,

Many of you who keep up with the news might already know this, as it
is I posted it to another list I contribute to, but I looked at the
BBC News and saw this a few weeks ago:

I think it's a great step for open source software and Linux that this
is getting released to download publicly.  It is essentially for kids
and, from what I've seen, is basic, but it could be helpful to
education.  Yes, Edubuntu does more or less the same thing with
offering educational packages, but when it comes to educational
features with Linux, this system has had so much publicity over the
world in this new 'One Laptop Per Child' scheme that people know more
about it and are more likely than to jump at this than Edubuntu or
other Linux based systems.

There was a spelling mistake in that article (and it hasn't been
corrected on the sidebar, I've just noticed), it did say 'OLPC
software to power aging PCs'.

Isabell.
--
Regards,