[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 8 08:24:03 UTC 2009

Sean Burlington wrote:
> One of the things I like about free software is that decisions about
> what to install stay technical - because non-tech managers don't have to
> sign off budget
To me this is one of the biggest benefits of free (gratis) software. I
don't have to waste time with the whole cycle of bureaucracy, approvals
and order systems which can be crippling in some companies. I just
install and get on with it which is much more efficient than than song
and dance that otherwise occurs and usually takes longer than the job
itself, wasting everyone's time.

On the other hand the bureaucracy creates tonnes of jobs... and sitting
in meetings with suits is much, much easier than heavy tech work...

It's also good if you have budget problems otherwise holding you back,
which more people probably do at the moment.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon