[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Tue Jul 7 11:27:12 UTC 2009

On 7 Jul 2009, at 12:19, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> IMHO, CentOS and Redhat can be used interchangeably and I do.

What's the benefit in running CentOS? Presumably one would only select
a RHEL-type distro with a very limited set of available packages if
one needed to deploy commercial applications which were only certified
on it? Surely Oracle and so on don't certify on CentOS too?

Is there another use case which I'm missing, where your sysadmins
don't spend all day building RPMs from source because you use a cut-
down backport-based distro with a tiny number of packages available,
and where using an OS whose only rationale is its support contract
without a support contract isn't batshit insane?

/joel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk